Thursday, April 29, 2010

Happy Birthday my Girl!

Happy Birthday friend - you know who you are! I hope today you're given Gucci and Gold. Loving you with all my heart, t x

(ps scroll down for congrats and birthday challenge).


And can I mention congrats for your first design print editorial. I couldn't be prouder, even if I were punch. (brain thinking...what the hell does that expression mean anyway, proud as punch? Does it mean punch the drink, Punch & Judy, to punch someone?! I need answers).

Now back to giving my friend birthday lurvvvee...don't laugh but I am going to attempt to bake you a Pavlova for your birthday - it's only fitting you know. Being more a cook than a baker (trust me I am a horrendous baker) I will post pictures of the finished result. Wish me luck!

Donna Hay Recipe:

* 150ml
eggwhite (approximately 4 eggs)
* 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
* 2 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch), sifted
* 2 teaspoons white vinegar
* 1 cup (250ml) single (pouring) cream
* ½ cup
passionfruit pulp (approximately 4 passionfruit)
* 250g strawberries, hulled and halved

Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F). Place the
eggwhite in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, whisking well, until the mixture is stiff and glossy.

Add the cornflour and vinegar and whisk until just combined. Shape the mixture into an 18cm round on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Reduce oven to 120°C (250°F) and bake for 1 hour 20 minutes. Turn the oven off and allow the pavlova to cool completely in the oven. Whisk the cream until soft peaks form. Spread over the pavlova, top with
passionfruit and strawberries and serve immediately. Serves 8–10.

You’ll know when the meringue is stiff and glossy because the mixture will have tripled in volume and stands up when the beaters are lifted.

The low heat puffs up the meringue while the long cooking time dries it out to give you a lovely crisp shell.

Store your pavlova, undressed, in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.

4 comments:

  1. HAHAHA! Bring it saturday?!! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck, after those anzac biscuits you will need it. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. hilarious. are you bringing it on sat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. please post a photo of the PAV! :)
    J xxx

    ReplyDelete

Oh my, you're leaving a comment. That means you've read my blog. I'm touched! Tuxedo x