Monday, June 21, 2010

Catching Up with Sarah Hankinson


S A R A H H A N K I N S O N

Sarah Hankinson, 27, is a Melbourne illustrator. Her works are delicate and refined yet full of broken lines and splashes of colour. Hankinson's provocative yet elegant illustrations harmonise traditional and mixed media techniques.

But enough from me let your eyes take you on a journey through the pretty world of Sarah Hankinson...




Q U E S T I O N & A N W S E R ' S

Talk Study?! Okay, my first year of graphic design was at Monash, then three weeks of Visual Art and Vic Uni and the full course of illustration at Chisholm!

Best Tip? Don’t give up!

Your Tip? Same as above! It is easy to get disheartened but it takes time to get out there and get noticed. In the end its worth all the emails, phone calls and mail outs.

Your Inspiration? I get most inspired wandering around Melbourne city, going to exhibitions and seeing other Melbourne artists’ amazing work.

Your Fave Piece? I'm most happy with a recent illustration hubba bubba. It was a collaboration with Melbourne based photographer She is Frank, who took the original photo which I worked from.


Fave Piece from Someone Else? I love Kelly Thompson’s work, in particular her illustration - Lily.

Talk Your Portfolio?! I just worked with Yen Magazine to create a Miso pull out poster to advertise valley girl. It was fun to have a job in one of my fave mags and create completely fashion based illustration.

Your Signature Style? Youthful, feminine pencil drawings with a splash of colour.

Mediums Used? I use mainly grey lead pencil to create delicate line work drawings and then bring in a different medium or a colour to create more of a mood.

Your Work Is? In various mags and book covers.

What's Next? I have an exhibition planned so doing lots of fresh new work for that!


Sarah also creates bridal keepsake illustrations from $195. So if you're tieing the knot or know someone that is - Sarah's your girl!

Website:
www.sarahhankinson.com
Blogspot:
www.sarahhankinson.blogspot.com
sarahhankinson.tumb

9 comments:

  1. Thannks for sharing this. I think sarah's work is lovely. i was looking at her site just last week infact.and I think i saw her work in yen. very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hubba Bubba is soooooo cool!! I want it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish i could draw that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great to see! love reading about local talent and finding out a bit more about sarah!! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the hubba bubba piece. are her works for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty!
    Thanks for shining the light on such a talent...
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah her work is great isn't it! you can buy her prints here
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sarahhankinson?page=2

    ReplyDelete

Oh my, you're leaving a comment. That means you've read my blog. I'm touched! Tuxedo x